Forests, lake views, cafes, parks and art (lots of walking under the sun so avoid on hot days)
16 km easy walk mostly paved but some bush tracks and possibly muddy sections
- catch a bus (14 from City or 22 from Marketown) to the bus stop at the bottom of Charlestown Square
- walk down to the roundabout, cross Patricia Ave and walk through path to Hallvert Crescent
- continue past Park St (becomes Anjon St) and turn right into path indicated by a Great North Walk (GNW) marker
- follow GNW markers through bush, down Park St and continue through the bush
- you will pass through a tunnel and then go around a golf course (watch out for stray balls)
- when you come out of the bush, walk around to the left of the playground and continue to the street following the markers (you will have to walk through suburbia for a while, sorry) left onto Myles Ave and then left at King Street
- You reach the Warners Bay village centre where you can find somewhere to eat if you didn’t pack your own lunch (you can catch the 48, the 269 or the on demand bus back to Charlestown if you’ve had enough walking)
- from here you can cross to the Warners Bay foreshore and follow the track around the lake to the right.
- After Speers Point Park (great playground and picnic spots) you will follow the GNW signs to the right just before the track passes under a road. Turn left to cross the bridge and follow the path straight (ignore GNW sign which veers off to the left) until you almost reach a roundabout.
- Here you will see a path to the left to continue following the lake. Follow this path all the way to the LMCC art gallery with a cafe and sculpture garden (great spot for a well deserved afternoon tea), but if you don’t want to visit the gallery head straight to the station.
- Return along this path to the roundabout. Cross the side road to the left, walk up the hill and cross the main road at the pedestrian lights. Walk through the park to Booragul Station to catch a train towards the city.
Option to walk over Munibung Hill (still working on/exploring this option)