Forests, wildlife park, an old railway tunnel, plus beach walking
14 km easy walk with a mix of pavement, bush track, rocks and sand
- Catch the 11 or 12 bus to Jesmond and get off at the bus stop near the pedestrian lights near Jesmond Park (11 stops on theopposite side of the road so use the crossing to get to the park)
- Enter Jesmond park near the bus stop and cross the two small bridges near the playground, take path to the left and when you reach the bicycle path turn left again
- Take the paved trail (on your right) to the hospital marked with a sign for cyclists (about 1.4 km to hospital)
- At JHH, follow track to the right of the HRMI building and make your way up to the main road. When you reach the road go through gate and down the track to the right of the large concrete carpark
- Take the second left (don’t walk just next to the carpark, it’s not pretty) and head down through a beautiful gully, veering left where needed, staying on a fairly wide path
- After a steep uphill you reach McCaffrey Drive, turn left and cross the main road (Lookout Rd) at the traffic lights
- Just to the left of the traffic lights you will see a small path heading into Blackbutt Reserve.
- Follow this path and turn left towards Ritchley Reserve (unless you want a longer route to visit the animal enclosure, inwhich case head to Carnley Avenue carpark)
- Blackbutt is well signposted and one way or another you will reach Richley Reserve and you can enjoy the ponds, playground and picnic area
- Staying on the right of the gully you will reach a path/rd that follows the electric wires, follow this until there is a sharp turn to the right.
- There is a little bush track to Dunkley Avenue, follow this road to the bottom of the hill where you will find Cafes (a potential lunch spot)
- Cross Carnley Ave at the traffic lights and go through the park to first street on your left (Ann Parade) which you will follow to Birdwood St where you will turn left and then right into Freeman St.
- At the end of the street there is a path to Northcott Dr which is a busy main road (sorry), turn right and go under the railway and walk towards the shops.
- At Park Ave you need to get to the opposite corner of the intersection and then follow Park Ave until you get to Dibbs St, turn right here and then turn right onto the Fernleigh track. Follow for a couple of kilometres
- When you reach Burwood Road turn left and head through the carpark to the walking tracks.
- Continue to Merewether following the same path as the Charlestown to Newcastle walk following the signs of the great north walk